Art is a medium by which we relate to each other. When we look or read or watch art and say “I understand it,” we are really saying to the artist “I understand you, I understand. I’ve been there. I know what that’s like. I get it.” This is incredible.
We created the first of many lists of songs that pertain to loss. We hope you listen and, by at least one of these songs, feel understood.
If there’s a song or musical artist that has helped you feel understood, send us the name and we will include it in our next song post. While today’s list is Country-heavy, we are open to all genres and hope to develop a good balance.
1. On suicide: For Blue Skies by Strays Don’t Sleep
2. On saying goodbye and processing a loss: Crying for Me by Toby Keith
3. Oh, Death by Pearl and the Beard
4. Who You’d Be Today by Kenny Chesney
5. On loss of a grandparent or parent: If Heaven Wasn’t So Far Away by Justin Moore
6. On loss of a child (you saw this on our Facebook page): My Time on Earth by Billy Gilmam
Watch out for a post in the future featuring songs suggested by our teen group!
And, of course, we’d like to remind you about helping us win The Big Give! Read more on our post about it here: http://thechristicenter.wordpress.com/2013/08/13/the-big-give/
By Lana Baumgartner